Job Title: Technical Service Manager
Reports To: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Bargaining or non-Bargaining
The Technical Service Manager holds a key position in the Vital organization. In this position you are responsible for exceeding customer expectations and meeting account profitability goals for assigned accounts. You interface directly with your customers to learn how we can help them achieve their annual business goal while we perform their HVAC, plumbing and control maintenance, service and repair work.
The Technical Service Manager is supported by your team’s Service Coordinator and Service Forman. You can ask for support from Project Sales, office administration, and accounting to help meet you’re your customer’s needs.
Specific areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding and supporting your customer’s business plan for each location and to assist them in meeting their business goal with HVAC and plumbing advice.
- P&L responsibility for the performance of the account overall.
- Using your technical knowledge to evaluate your customer’s mechanical system and provide annual recommendation related to important repairs, annual repair budgets and capital replacement budgets.
- Lead your service foreman to assure that your team is managed, trained, coached and performs to the Vital Standards.
- Address customer service complaints in a professional manner with the focus on “more than satisfied customers” in all decisions.
- Supports the Director of Operations in creating policy and standards for TSMs, Service Forman and technicians.
- Strong Leadership Skills able to rapidly switch between customer relations and oversight the team performing the work, strong interpersonal communication and able to display and actively promote company core values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates within our company core values in all matters.
- Must be outgoing and have the ability to develop long term trusting relationships with customers though performance, solutions, character, and responsiveness.
- Has the sales and leadership ability to influence direction and decisions towards a desired conclusion.
- Has a high energy level, is highly motivated to win and has the ability to work independently.
- Has a strong desire to lean.
Technical Knowledge –
- Has a strong understanding of different mechanical systems designs (wet and dry systems) and ability to size equipment for replacement or new loads
- Has working understanding of mechanical and energy codes and can navigate proposal scope with outside engineering for proposals and approved work.
- Has a holistic understanding of why a mechanical system may not be working properly and what can be done to how mechanical systems work, can develop scope and costing estimates.
- Must have exceptionally strong HVAC and DDC control design and construction knowledge and with the ability to define scope, budget and price design build solutions for our customers without drawings.
- Has worked in the mechanical maintenance and service industry.
- Monitors customer accounts and service gross margins for quoted work and service calls.
- Prepares larger repair proposals and helps other techs with questions on their quotes
- Prepares replacement budgets and proposals to support the capital report.
- Effectively develops sales proposals, estimates, specifications and presentations to meet customer needs.
- Develop and maintain a safety conscious team and work environment.
- Build and manage a pool of skilled service technicians and apprentices.
- Conduct and administer training programs to technicians, including sales training in coordination with the Director of Sales
- Appoint, as necessary, lead technicians and/or forepersons to assist in field supervision, and training as the company grows. This includes delegation of some of these responsibilities:
- recruiting, interviewing and training new technicians
- appraising performance through monthly coaching, one-on-ones, ride along, performance improvement plans, and annual reviews
- addressing customer, or intercompany complaints, and resolving problems
- conducting team meeting to distribute information, policies and procedures and build team moral
- coordinate with team members to ensure individual and team goals are achieved
- Continue learning on a regular basis with the goal to always be the best.
- Stay abreast of industry technological developments and convey this knowledge to team members
- Help create and manage budgets – including but not limited to unapplied labor, tools, and warranty.
- Monitor Key Performance Indicators to assure that performance is in line with the company vision.
- Develop and maintain LEAN processes, procedures and quality standards within your service department.
- Support the other departments with technical assistance.
- Has 15 years of experience in mechanical service industry as a tradesman
- Has a strong understanding of HVAC/Control theory and how it applies to commercial buildings.
- Has professional training in project management, new sales development, account management and team work.
- Excellent communication skills to support a team environment
Interested in applying?
Click the button below to complete the application.